Thursday, August 24, 2006

The Bait-and-Switch


I went on Date Numero Uno last night. Against my mantra, I was pretty psyched about this date. Never again. Got to keep those expectations low!! We had some good IM talks but the phone conversation was less than stellar. I was tired and half asleep. I thought she sounded kind of mousy and jappy which was contrary to her profile name, “NotAJap.” She also made some derogatory comments about black people which I didn’t think was too cool. Needless to say I carried on with the date as she seemed pretty chill and we had some similar interests.


Yesterday, I was pretty beat from the weather, and shitty sleep the night before. I was hoping to get in a nap after work but that didn’t happen. I am crashing at my sister’s place for 10 days while she in Croatia. My housing situation is another great story that I don’t know how to fit in to this story of my date. The situation sucks but here at her place I am in the lap of luxury with central air, cable, and a balcony. Needless to say I got back there and there was some poker on TV and half bottle of wine in the fridge so the nap never happened. 30 minutes prior to the date I am bugging out. What did I get myself into? This is up there with the craziest things I have ever done. Of course this is not true and in fact it seems like the norm these days. I get on the phone with Evan and he talks me down to a calmer state.


So I head over to meet this girl. I just showered and put on clean clothes. After walking to the shuttle and getting in the subway I am no longer clean. I am sweating balls. Luckily, it started raining when I got out in Times Square. That was a relief. Okay the moment is almost here. I am at the MTV building waiting for this girl to get out of work. I am really not sure who I am actually looking for here. Online she had 4 pictures each with a different look, hairstyle, and color. I’m wondering what look I will be getting today. She tells me she will be wearing a white shirt. All these chicks are walking out. Lots of “Ohs!” and “Ahs!”, and one “Oh my god!” on my part. Is this the one? She is hot! She is not. Needless to say this girl walks up to me wearing a black shirt. Okay apparently she said white skirt on the phone. So this freaking girl looks absolutely nothing like the pictures online.


I am looking at them right now trying to make the connection here. Each girl in the pictures looks pretty cute. This one just looks okay. I think maybe there’s a possibility these pictures were taken pre-“freshman fifteen” or pre-nose job (reverse nose job that makes it look worse). This is what we call “Bait & Switch” folks. I am kind of let down but I manage to keep that on the wraps for the rest of the night though. She is still doable so I move on with life. Roll with the punches as they say. Anyways this is something I should have expected from the get go but I didn’t expect to see it happen on Date #1.


We head over to O’Lunney’s and have a few glasses of chardonnay. The conversation was mildly interesting, and there were few of those extremely awkward pauses. The kind that say I just ended my last thought, and do not have a new one prepared. Usually, I am pretty good at avoiding that shit, but tonight I am a little slow. She continues to be jappy like the phone conversation. My guess is she would be more jappy but she spends all her money on rent at her luxury high rise. She even throws in another comment about black people for good measure. Oddly enough, as I become more intoxicated, she became more attractive and a little bit cooler. Must be the bottle of wine I polished off earlier.


We decide to go get some sushi. I don’t remember the name of the place but it was pretty good. As we fill up on sushi, and sober up the conversation becomes more awkward, so I order some saki to nip that in the bud. She spills a whole glass of water on the table. I shrug my shoulders and am glad it wasn’t me this time. I am ready for a stiff drink though. Up to now, I have paid for everything so she offers to buy me next round. I usher her to the bar across the street and order a dirty martini. That hit the spot. After that I am feeling pretty good. We actually had to rush out after that. We were going to go see the Meters at the Nokia Theatre and had to meet Jerbellis there to get tickets. Kudos to Mike for coming through with extremely cheap tickets. We get to the show and it is kicking. The band is good, and I am wasted, and groovin’. I’m now into the music. It was kind of relieving. I was pretty tired of focusing on her. I was nice though and asked if she was ok or wanted a drink every 20 minutes or so.


We had a lot of similar taste in music so I figured she would dig the Meters. She seemed a little bored. She wasn’t really dancing all that much. In fact she was just rocking there holding on tight to her pocketbook. Whatever. Mike left and shortly thereafter and I really had to pee so I hit the bathroom. Sure enough I find my boy Farrel in the bathroom. I go back to find this chick and bring her over to my friends. Shortly, thereafter she tells me she wants to go to the gym in the morning has to go. That’s my get out jail free card! I tell her I had a great time and I’ll talk to her later. I proceed to party on with friends and thoroughly enjoy the evening. I want to give a little shout out to the guys from Alpha Delt who I found later in the evening. Good to see you guys.


In general, aside from the bait and switch, the date was not-so-bad. It was a pretty good first date, nuts-and-bolts-wise. I could substitute another chick in there and it could have been awesome. I talked to her online this morning and she wants to hang out again. I know we don’t have what it takes to go the distance but I would definitely be friends with her and or hook-up with her on a drunken night out. I am pretty happy with the way I behaved and feel I like this shit will only become more fun as the dates keep coming. I am going out with the Serial Dater tonight so that should make for an interesting story. On a side note, I want to say there is nothing wrong with serial dating because that’s pretty much what I will be doing barring I meet someone I want to date long-term, but I will continue to call her the Serial Dater in my blog.


To be continued…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home